Saturday, December 26, 2009

Thailand - Lovely Island of Phuket

(click photo to enlarge)



Phuket (pronounced pook-it)

Calm waters today on the 5th anniversary of the Tsunami

(see link)
://www.forbes.com/feeds/reuters/2009/12/16/2009-12-17T000524Z_01_SGE5BD09F_RTRIDST_0_TSUNAMI-ANNIVERSARY-THAILAND-PIX-TV-GRAPHIC.html


Hello little tuk-tuk * island taxi


A view from above the island looking west across the Andaman Sea



A
roadside altar at night


The Phraphuttaruup (images of the Buddha) cannot be bought; they are "rented" for one can never "own" an image of the Buddha

I hiked out of town one day and up an oh-so-steep hill to watch the sunset





and saw this sign










and five minutes later, I thought I heard - why yes, an elephant snort behind me!


At some places in the Phuket and Phang Nga provinces, elephants were used to move and lift heavy wreckage to search for Tsunami victims and to clear the roads. On one beach, a man was leading an elephant to entertain tourists and when the tsunami came, he put several children on the elephant's back and saved them from the flood - an elephant ark

***********************************************

It was almost dark on the way down but I saw this baby eating palm grass by the side of the road ***




Jaclyn, what do you think about that?









So, really Phuket was a lot of this...

in front of me,



above me,
and beside me.

1 comment:

  1. great pics! i have always wanted to go here! glad you are getting around. i dont suppose you will be home by NYE??? i will be in NYC.....miss you

    ReplyDelete