Thursday, December 24, 2009

More incense...

From a Chinese temple in Chinatown (yes, HCM has a Chinatown)



The temples and pagodas and the many altars along the road have definitely charmed me -- the vivid colors, the peaceful interiors, the offerings to Buddha (flowers, tangerines). And the Buddhist monks. I have met a few including a young Vietnamese monk who sat next to me last night on the return flight from Thailand. He was studying his German verb tenses and patiently explained to me why he liked to compare the German language to his study of Sanskrit. At the airport, I had to renew my visa in Customs so I told him to take the taxi without me and waved goodbye. One hour and twenty minutes later (arrghhh), I exited the airport and there he was, in his flowing robes! He waited, he said, to be sure that all had gone well.

I reflected upon his kindness all the way home.



These incense baskets hang from the temple ceiling and burn for seven days







(Sanskrit) -- Sarve Bhadrāni Paśyantu Mā Kaścid Duhkhabhāg bhavet...




"May all perceive good, may not anyone attain unhappiness"

No comments:

Post a Comment