Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mekong Delta



Floating markets in MK - every Sunday, all the boats in area float their produce, it's all for sale on the water... Also visited several small businesses in open air buildings under giant tropical coverage - the work goes on each day in the heat and humidity with an endless parade of tourists poking around and snapping photos...coconut candy making, rice paper (noodle) production, incense stick preparation within the grounds of a pagoda, honey products (the workers also offered a side of banana, snake and rice wines with the honey tea) Adventurer that I am, I opted for the rural family homestay - with a few others. The bus ride was 3+ hours to the first low slung boat ride which was 40 minutes to the 15 minute motor taxi to the 60 minute second low slung boat down a river with a moon and swaying coconut trees...we finally arrived - oh wait! I forgot the 20 minute single file walk between the taxi and the second boat ride which was along the highway (in the dark) against traffic with cars, buses, motocyclos, bicycles, people. The family served us fresh fish from their pond with various vegs and rice paper, we wrapped whatever we saw and ate it up then off to bed early since we were to be woken at 5:30a to visit the community watermelon farm. Sleeping -- I think my bed was one of the kitchen tables since we were missing one at dinner! Adjusting myself across the length of the plank, I pulled my mosquito net over me, eyed the 4 lizards racing across the walls and hoped for quick sleep.


One of the many roadside altars to the Supreme Buddha

3 comments:

  1. HI AUNT MAUREEN!!
    its megan!
    im so happy you started your blog!!
    its so interesting to see all those old people riding mtorcycles....
    i hope when we finally set up our web cam, we can video chat again!
    miss you alot!
    Love megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maureen:
    The lizards (geckos)that raced across the wall can shed tails easily. When I was young, my mother warned me if I let the tail get into my ear, I will be deaf. One night in Costa Rica, two years ago, a gecko was racing across the wall, then suddenly dropped onto my head. Scared the daylight out of me. So next time when you see geckos racing across the wall, stuff some cotton balls in your ears. Cheers! Siu

    ReplyDelete
  3. One suggestion for the title of your blog:

    MKD in the MKD!

    Siu

    ReplyDelete